Saturday, May 3, 2008

It's a start...







So, after talking to my niece, Brecken this morning I decided to do (based on her encouragment) what I've been too embarrassed to do until now...create a blog. My children all have blogs and I love to read them because it is a little glimpse into their world that I don't always see. So, with that in mind, I'm hoping they will enjoy catching little views of my world...and not be too embarrassed or worse...bored! Additionally, I want our extended family to be able to keep up on the comings and goings of the grandmas and grandpas.
That said...this last week I took a vacation day and loaded G4 and GV (Grandma Forester and Grandma Van Dusen) into the Prius and headed to the flower fields in Carlsbad. When the Forester grandparents lived on Lynoak Drive in Claremont, they had a beautiful pepper tree in the center of the front lawn. Around the base of the tree grandma Forester planted ranunculus every year. They were amazing...or as Courtney would say "lovely." As a side note, Grandpa Forester would keep the pepper tree pruned. I remember watching him do this one day and was astounded at the skill and artistic eye he employed as he did this. I never looked at the tree the same again. I still drive by on occaision and mourn the loss of his talent...when I learn more about blogging I will post some pictures of the old Lynoak house.
Back to the ranunculus. There are acres and acres of ranunculus on this hillside overlooking the Pacific ocean that are grown for their seeds/tubers. They come in a variety of happy colors and are a prolific ball of thousands of petals. A sight for we flower worshipers. The day turned out to be cold and drizzley, unlike the 90 degree weather the day before, but we were undeterred and took in all the sights and smells with gusto. Much to GV's joy there was a Rose Walk of Fame garden full of award winning roses, interspersed with test roses awaiting acceptance into some sort of "Rose Establishment Hierarchy." We basked in the beauty until our eyes were full and could take nothing more! We stopped across the street and ate a delicious lunch at King's Fish House and headed north to Claremont. On our trip home G4 assured us that all her bodily functions were working properly and we made a lovely pit stop at the Home Depot and the Arco station in Fallbrook...I love Fallbrook...a post for another day.


So there you have it, my 1st blog post. Hopefully I will improve with time and experience. Feel free to offer advice...positive please. Until next time...I'm off to Prom! TTFN

8 comments:

Drew and Alicia said...

Nice post mother, well done. I hope to see more.

Brecken said...

well done! I am so excited to have updates on how grams, you and uncle john are doing. IT'll be great!

courtney said...

super cute, mom. and so restrained...your description of grandma f's little pit stop last week was much less ewwww-inducing than my description of it in testimony meeting yesterday (that's right--over the pulpit, and everyone in the berkeley ward now feels great pity for you). love you!

Brittany said...

Love the blog Aunt Lynn... So glad you've joined the bandwagon! I look forward to reading all of your lovely posts! Hope all is well! Love you! www.musgrave5.blogspot.com

kathy said...

wow! you've entered the worldof blogging. nicely done. i remember that tree. lots of good times when the kids were little. i have some cute pics of mom i'll email you. cya

Michelle said...

I'm glad you've done a blog Lynn. Maybe opened the door for us other scaredy-cats. But I'm not sure when I'll be following suit. I could talk about my latest dry-pork chop recipe????? :-) I'll look forward to following along...and I remember the tree too!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Courtney's friend...I feel like somehow I'm invading your privacy by being a non-family member reading your blog...but I just wanted to say that I was witness to the "ewww-inducing" testimony meeting, but really what I got out of it is that you are, in fact, a saint, as Courtney so aptly put it. You're one of my new favorite people. Fantastic blog, by the way. :)

Niles said...

Nice work, Lynn! I came here from Courtney's blog. It looks like you've got some bean soup to make; but what was that about "send me the recipe"? Don't tell me you just concocted that soup two Christmases ago, and don't have the recipe. That would be like painting the Mona Lisa just for kicks, and then tearing it up!
By the way, what's a fella gotta do to get a link on your blog? Brecken's there. Renee's there. I know I'm not as bleeding edge as Courtney, but come on...