Friday, May 9, 2008

Friday Night Likes

For those of you who know me well, it comes as no surprise that to relax at the end of a busy work week I like to cook. Unfortunatley, I had to work tonight so cooking went out the window. So, tonight G4 and I went to work together. She watched a high school CIF playoff volleyball game and I worked the gate. Not a bad gig and G4 felt like she had a big night out. I came home and read Niles comment about the bean soup and realized which soup he meant. Therefore, Niles, this recipe posting will fulfill my Friday night cooking need and hopefully, your Saturday night eating need, a win win solution. I give you...Black Bean Soup Enjoy, it's one of my favorites.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Black Bean Soup

Recipe By : Dave Lieberman
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time: 0:20
Categories : Soups & Stews

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
10 slices bacon (preferably hickory smoked) -- finely chopped
2 medium onions -- chopped
6 cloves garlic -- pressed
1 14 1/2 oz canned chicken broth
1 1/2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp Worchestershire Sauce
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp chili powder
4 15 1/2 oz canned black beans -- drained
salt and pepper -- to taste
1 bunch cilantro
1/2 lime -- juiced

Saute bacon and onions till onion is translucent.
Add garlic and heat through.
Add the broth, tomatoes, ketchup, Worchestershire, and chili powder.
Stir in the beans, turn the heat to high and bring to a boil.
Gently cook about 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.

Pick the stems from the cilantro, wash leaves and shake dry.
Coarsley chop the cilantro and stir into soup.
Stir in the lime juice.
Serve with garnish

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : May also be served with thinly sliced green onions, sour cream and grated cheddar cheese.
Can be kicked up with jalapenos, tabasco and any other sweat inducing hot sauce.


I close with this picture of Jorge and Rachel. I feel like I need to have a picture with each post so I looked through my pictures to find one that would be interesting. I chose Jorge, Rachel's fiancee. Most of you have probably not met him...so here he is. We love Jorge and can't wait for him to be an official part of our family. He's a talented photographer and artist and soon to be graduate of the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena. Hopefully, I will be posting some of his work here soon. Jorge is great, and he cheerfully tolerates the crazy that is the Forester household.

5 comments:

courtney said...

hooray for bean soup, and hooray for jorge! i hear he makes a fabulous baked potato.

Niles said...

Yes!

Also, I like the new color palette you've chosen. Much easier on the eyes. Did your designer son-in-law-to-be help you pick it?

Rachel from Claremont said...

thanks mom. . . and those were very good potatos

Matt said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. Hopefully you'll be more successful at it than I have been.

Huis said...

Thank you for the recipe!

https://www.cekaja.com/info/10-manfaat-grapeseed-oil/