Wednesday, May 14, 2008

In the merry merry month of May


A lot of things happen in May in my world. First is Mother's Day. My mother's day is always wonderful and this year was no exception. John planned dinner and Rachel and Jorge did most of the preparation...and by the way, the baked potatoes that Jorge prepared were the best ever...I don't know why but he sure had the touch. In addition to them, G and G Van Dusen came, also Alicia, Drew, Tyler and Leah. G4 went to Bill and Kathy's for dinner. I received some beautiful gifts...a hydrangea in a cool pot from Drew and Alicia, Lovely garden gloves from Courtney and hand-painted plates (with home mede bread and strawberry jam) from Tyler, Leah and Zoe...yes, our granddaughter will be named Zoe, a beautiful necklace from Rachel and a colorful handmade wallet made in Guatemala from Jorge and his mother. The day before Mother's Day John and I (and the Mori's) went to the Palm Bike store in LA to pick out a bicycle for me. (my gift from John) It was a hard decision but I was able to try a few out and decided on an Electra beach cruiser style olive and orange 3 speed bike...with a basket. They didn't have one in stock so I am anxiously waiting for its arrival. Thanks everyone for making my mother's day so wonderful.



Another May happening is the departure of the college students that attend our ward. Each year some go home to return in the fall and others graduate or go on adventurous semesters abroad. This year it feels like more are leaving than usual and I'm very sad. Though I'm thrilled for their new adventures I will truly miss them. They have enriched my life in so many ways and have been tremendous examples to me...I love them all very much and hope the best for them. If any of you are reading this, please don't lose touch with us...we're excited to see all you do.

May is a crunch month at work and so far it hasn't disappointed. The frantic parent calls have begun, the slacker seniors are actually starting to worry, and the countdown to graduation has started. I must admit, this is my favorite time of the work year...I like the chaos.

Finally, I took a vacation day today and went with my girl friends to the Pasadena Showcase Design House...10,500 square feet of extreme opulence and excess...it was great. I don't think any of their ideas will transfer to my home...but you never know...I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

tiffany garfield said...

Aunt Lynn, I didn't know you had a blog! Fabulous! Now I can keep in touch better. It sounds like you had a great Mothers day--you deserve it! After being pregnant and experience this whole morning sickness thing with only one child so far, my appreciation has greatly increased for ALL mothers in this world! Anyway, I hope the rest of May continues to treat you well. Love you and miss you guys!

courtney said...

mom, you're such a good little blogger! i hope it lasts.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Hey Aunt Lynn! This blog thing is great, I'm glad we're all in on it.
I'm glad you had a good Mother's Day.
:D

Brecken said...

Yeah! I love reading your blog.....and thanks for the soup recipe I'll have to make it soon for him.